Announcements
Rest In Peace Capt.Scarlett The Aussie/NZ community would have been a dull place without you

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to Install Heroes of the West
Administrator
Somewhere
Administrator
Somewhere
Also we have found a possible fix for redirect downloads not working properly and leaving the person in spectator mode. Map ini files. Which can just sit in the config file. We think the game is getting confused as to what a WF map is when you download via redirect. So doesn't let the player spawn. We'll get those files made.
08-12-2015, 05:07 PM
Administrator
Campbell Canberra AU
Map ini files !

Geeze are modders and mappers starting to learn about server side stuff.

They are going to take over the world next.

Maybe also include some server side instructions and also a download option that ISNT steam workshop. Most servers dont connect to Steam Workshop.
08-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Administrator
Somewhere
Well other custom maps work fine without ini files. Because the game knows what RS and RO2 are. Doesn't quite know what HOTW is. It's a mutant version of RS.

Also I don't quite know what you mean by a download option that isn't steam workshop. Tripwire forums. Specifically this thread http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/sh...3&page=12. I also don't know what you mean by most servers don't connect to steam workshop. Use the workshop as a redirect? Didn't think you could do that.

Also for server instructions. I installed it like you would a custom map. However I didn't touch web admin when I did it. Used a different remote admin tool called TCAdmin. So I installed it to the server in pretty much the exact same way you would manually install it on your client. Download the files, drag and drop the files into the right folders and you're done. + add the maps to the rotation in ROgame.ini. That was literally it. No other config file changes.

How did you install it. As how you managed to get Japanese bot names is very strange indeed.
08-12-2015, 09:32 PM
Administrator
Campbell Canberra AU
Like I said a lot of mappers and modders dont know much about the server side of things.
Every custom map should have an ini file. Without it you need to do stuff like go into the ROgame.ini file to put the map into a play list etc.
If the map has an ini file it will appear in the game's admin area and you can move it around through that interface to include it in whatever map list you like and campaign etc.
The ini file also does other stuff involving player numbers and map format, combined arms or infantry only - though I dont know much about this.
I would never put a custom map on without a ini file.

Re the download, I mean that a lot of modders only provide Steam Workshop as a download option and not a direct download path like the Map Update Thread. It means that I have to download the map or mod by Steam Workshop on my game machine, find the files and hope I get them all, FTP them to the server and install them. Increased margin of error .

HOW was install pretty much as you have mentioned except with ini files for each map. I suspect the Japanese bot names are a by-product of having custom settings. Probably similar to the Classic Weapon Loadout issue. HOW seems to be made for servers that dont think outside of the box with their settings.
09-12-2015, 09:49 AM
Administrator
Campbell Canberra AU
Donor
Donor
melb AU
we'll do it batter next thursday. has been going well.
12-03-2016, 03:37 AM
Donor
Adelaide SA
So spent the last couple of hours wondering why I couldn't connect to the server tonight, had no idea why and even verified my game files...
Then had a look at the activity feed on Steam and realized i had to re-download the Heroes of the West mod, as the version before was a beta version.
Thought i'd post something incase others did the same as me and didn't know you have to re-download the mod.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/lsdrEob.gif[/img]
24-03-2016, 10:40 PM
Administrator
Somewhere
Also when HOtW was first released on steam officially we released a broken version lol. Cos that's how we roll. Fixed it though after a couple hours. Some things you can't test without actually making it live. Though that would have been between the hours of 5-8am for most australians.
25-03-2016, 12:32 AM