Announcements
Rest In Peace Capt.Scarlett The Aussie/NZ community would have been a dull place without you

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A rule set for Clan matches... also i'm back!
Donor
Perth AU
Hi!

After a long absence, I have returned to Ro2... well until TWI decide to release another 8gb update! Dodgy

So tonight blitz had a few matches against spark, it was fun for a while, however a few major problems came apparent.

1: Most maps in the game aren't made for less than 30 players.
We had about 10? players a side and we played on Station, Iwo Jima, hanto and Commissars House. The only map that was even remotely balanced was Iwo Jima (surprisingly)

2: No class restrictions
It seemed everyone would pick the most effective weapon available with no regard to balance. On the RS maps this is a complete disaster as all the Americans chose Semi's and auto's.

3: No arty restriction
In a competitive game there is no need for arty, especially with the low amount of players. Half the kills with arty are luck based anyway, no one can control exactly where the shells land.

4: game mode
Territory is fine, however It became annoying with so many reinforcements, no one was cautious with their character, it was just die and respawn. Also the time limit would always ruin the fun when the attackers got on a role.

What we need is a rule set that can be used for scrims and brings the much needed balance into the game. Because as it's stands, scrim's in RO2 are just a complete clusterfuck.
I know we made one ages before RS was released but we never really got to test it, and many parts of the game have changed now anyway.

This is my template for 10v10

Game Mode:
Territory with 35% reinforcements
Increased respawn time
No time limit
Classic mode with Realism Sprint
Best of 3 Rounds

Classes:
6 Rifleman -Bolts only-
1 Machine gunner
1 Assault
1 Squad leader (not sure how this would work in RS)
1 Sniper
No TL

Maps:
Obviously with the small player size, we don't want to play Mamayev and such. (or do we?)
I suggest the smaller maps such as:

Barracks
Saipan
Apartments
Maybe Pavlovs House and Fallen Fighters (as they are A symmetrical)
Spartanovka? maybe?

Although Iwo Jima worked pretty well, we could try some larger maps to mix things up a bit. Thoughts?

That's just a starting point anyway, feel free to post any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks.
08-07-2013, 12:32 AM
Administrator
Campbell Canberra AU
I will have a look at what can be set server side to enforce some of these restriction.
I know there is a simple setting to turn of the time limit. There is also settings to limit weapon load out but I have never used it. This setting also sends the server into an unranked state which i guess is ok for scrims.

Map selection is easy.

There is also a mutator that will automatically swap team sides at the end of a round. It was designed for scrims and it might contain a few other settings that could help out.
08-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Donor
Sydney
Those are good ideas. One of the other problems with such small teams was the recappable zones -- we had to take A on station about 4 times, and got B and C 2 or 3 times each. Once a couple of attackers get knocked off, it was hard to hold the caps waiting for respawn. The apartments model, with side by side caps close together (and where they become non-recappable when you get both), is probably best.

Not sure about longer respawn times -- would be worth trying it out to see -- or lack of arty. I think some of the maps, especially the RS ones, are likely to be impossible for the attackers without it.

Have to congratulate blitz, you guys played very well.
08-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Danzig or WAR!!
Melbourne AU
Unfortunately, some people decided to leave after one round, which meant spark didn't get a chance to improve on our first round. I DEMAND A REMATCH!

Some of the problems encountered could be solved by playing Countdown instead of Territory, but I'm not sure people would like that.
No artillery would give more power to the defenders, which is exactly what they don't need. I thought the classes were spread well, but I may be wrong.
I think the best maps to play would be the symmetrical ones like Barracks and Fallen Fighters, but also maps that don't have extreme positional advantages like Pavlovs House and Spatanovka would work fine. I would settle for Barracks being the map for all matches.

I completely reject any form of competitive play in Rising Storm.

As I said, I DEMAND A REMATCH!
08-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Donor
Blitzkrieg elite = Boss. That is all. Spark should join with 0coy, that would make for lolz.

^ in all seriousness tho, some changes are in need to make these work better. Alot of what Flam3s has said is true, i disagree with the lack of TL. Thats extra smoke flam3s. I dont mind a lack of arty, however if defense maps are gonna be chosen, it may be required to punch holes through the lines. Blitz have a total of 13 members. And spark seemed to have matched that. So we have 26ish members online.
08-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Sydney AU
thanks for writing up the wall of text, i have had similar idea's but just havnt been able to figure out a way to put them down in words,

i have no qualms with trying countdown, seeing as these scrims haven't been done for a while i am happy to try new things and help figure out a suitable system for the matches, i think to keep the matches competitive is if its possible for objectives, once taken to not be retaken, it will keep the match flowing and keep the competition up, sought of like how battlefields rush game modes work.

1 map i thought could work for a competitive match is the "no mans hill" map, with the 4 outer lying points and the centre point, it could work for some interesting tactics.

also sorry for bailing after 1 match last night, i was pretty over playing after the stomp that was the first official round and the complaining of camping because guess what, camping works and you win so the way to deal with it is to beat it, but thats another discussion.

happy to try another scrim for next sunday and lets try and get it running at 8pm on the dot.

thanks Blitz for the game, and thanks Cat for letting us use the server

:3
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/HPsmRBk.jpg[/IMG]
08-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Donor
I understand how peeps may have thought it was camping, but at the end of the day, we were defending, and we had Cap A contested the whole match. If we went any further foward we would have been killed by spawn protection. And we cant just give the cap to the enemy.
08-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Sydney AU
no i agree, it is a legitimate strategy that works and works well.
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/HPsmRBk.jpg[/IMG]
08-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Donor
Adelaide AU
I'm not exactly sure of a solution, but I think countdown may be worth a try.

Would have been very interesting to reverse the teams on station to see if the same thing happened with Spark defending.... there is a chance the map didn't workout so well as the teams were a bit unballanced. If that's the case.... may be time for some team restructures, or 2 player handicaps? anyway, lets not rush to that just yet untill we see how a few more playout.

How about barracks and then maybe countdown a crack next time, and play the reversed sides to get a better idea of the cause of the problem.
09-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Commander Extraordinaire!!
Ipswich AU
I was also going to suggest that Countdown might be a perfect solution for 10v10 scrims.
09-07-2013, 07:46 AM